"Tong Ren Tang Chinese Medicine Cup" 5th World Essay Competition for College Students: Internationalization of Traditional Chinese Medicine
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) including acupuncture-moxibustion has been spread to 196 countries and regions. As the crystallization of more than 5000 years of Chinese civilization, TCM has been playing a significant role in human health. For the purposes of reflecting the global picture of TCM, promoting mutual learning of cultures and people-to-people bond, contributing to a Global Community of Health for all, and offering a high-level exchange platform for international talents, “Tong Ren Tang Chinese Medicine Cup" 5th World Essay Competition for College Students: Internationalization of Traditional Chinese Medicine will be held. The competition is co-organized by the Secretariat of World Federation of Acupuncture-Moxibustion Societies (WFAS) and the Center for International Development of TCM of Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Competition duration: From May to November, 2023
Participants: College students (junior college students, undergraduates, postgraduates, and doctoral candidates), with no restriction to nationality, university or major.
Topics and theme:
The essay submitted should feature internationalization of TCM, including but not limited to researches on the worldwide or local development of TCM, acupuncture-moxibustion, Chinese herbal medicine, traditional medicine, etc.; environmental value of TCM; cultural communication of TCM; modernization of TCM; cross-disciplinary studies related to TCM; overseas development of Chinese medicine enterprises; and international aid services by TCM. You may either approach the internationalization of TCM from a macroscopic perspective or zoom in on a specific angle.
Experience-sharing group: My story with TCM going global
Tell the story of your encounter with TCM, as well as your involvement, feelings, thoughts, and suggestions of its internationalization. Based on your personal experiences, your essay is also expected to project a larger picture of TCM going global.
Creative group: Innovative development and international communication of time-honored TCM brands
Propose your suggestions and strategies to rejuvenate time-honored TCM brands as well as their products in this digital and information age through modern ways of communication, consumption, technology advancement, etc. Your proposal may include product design, brand building, marketing plan, advertising and original design, traditional crafts, inheritance of intangible cultural heritage, etc.
Language: The essay shall be written in Chinese or English, with total words of 3,000 - 10,000. An abstract of 200 - 300 words in both Chinese and English is also required.
How to participate:
Scan the QR code below or click the link (https://jinshuju.net/f/Hz6GZ9) and make sure to finish the sign-up procedure by filling the registration form and submitting your essay via email before the deadline.
Please send your essay in WORD format to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 31st, 2023. Please use "Essay TCM internationalization + [Group]" as the subject, and present your name and university in the email. The information should be consistent with that you submit in the registration form.
1. Experts of the review group will conduct the preliminary screening of papers, and select the papers that meet the requirements to enter the preliminary competition.
2. The competition aims to cultivate international talents of TCM, and the contestants should have the ability of bringing TCM culture to the masses. On this account, preliminary contestants are required to create short TCM-themed videos based on their papers and post them on network platforms where number of views is shown and can be calculated. 50% of the finalists are selected by experts, and the other 50% are generated according to the ranking of promotion effect of the videos. Contestants who enter this round will be awarded an e-version certificate with the view count of their work indicated on it.
3. The final will be held in hybrid form both online and on-site. The contestants make presentation of their papers, and the experts grade their papers according to the performance of presentation and the quality of essays.
1. Winners will be decided through expert review and online voting. 【Main group】 Two 1st Prize winners, with a reward of RMB 10,000 each; Six 2nd Prize winners, with a reward of RMB 6,000 each; Ten 3rd Prize winners, with a reward of RMB 3,000 each; Excellence Award winners and Excellent Organizers will also be selected.
【Featured groups】 Ten Impressive Presentation Award and Original Creation Award winners altogether, with a reward of RMB 3,000 each.(Tag guide)
2. Winning essays may be published by the supporting publications and may be included into the Book of Essays published by the organizers.
3. Winners will be given priority when seeking internship or employment in Beijing Tong Ren Tang Chinese Medicine Company Limited.
Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Chinese and English versions);
China Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy;
Chinese Journal of Information on Traditional Chinese Medicine;
International Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine;
Chinese Acupuncture and Moxibustion;
World Journal of Acupuncture-Moxibustion;
Chinese Medicine and Culture (Chinese and English versions);
TCM Healthy Life-Nurturing
Beijing Tong Ren Tang Chinese Medicine Company Limited
TCM Practitioners Qualification Certification Center of National Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine of China
One piece of work shall only be submitted to one group. This competition only accepts essays not published before. Any essay found to have already been published will be disqualified for this competition. Besides, short videos should follow the regulations of specific media platforms. If the video is banned due to any violation, its view number will be counted as null.
Organizing Committee of World Essay Competition for College Students: Internationalization of Traditional Chinese Medicine
May 18th, 2023